Sunday, December 6, 2015

3. Emotion

"Emotions drive people to action. They make us laugh, shout, and cry, they make us talk, share and buy." (Berger, 123)
The emotional connection to sharing is a fairly clear concept for me. I recognize it in my own patterns of behaviour in social media. I always share things that make me laugh or that get me angry, which are the "high-arousal" emotions Berger discusses in this chapter. I hardly ever share things that make me sad, a "low- arousal" emotion, because I almost never actually read those posts on platforms like Facebook, or other places.

Applying this concept to Pegasus Dance Studios has many opportunities. We do re-post a lot of articles about uplifting stories and funny dance videos (like this one), but we also have the opportunity to create our own content that conveys the emotions of our business model and reflects the happy, body positive, supportive and fun environment that we try to create in our studios.

Below is an example of one of our most successful Facebook posts. This image was posted on Facbeook with a link to a blog article about our Kindness Project. We had noticed some bullying behaviour starting in the changerooms and wanted to tackle it before it grew too big, so we started  studio wide discussion about kindness and encouraged students to be kind to others by giving out "kindness awards", a business card that instructed the recipient to find another person doing something kind and pass the award on. I believe this Facebook post did so well because it played on a high-arousal emotion and people cared enough to share it. The initiative has also been very successful in the studio as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment